"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is now"
The “trees” in your life are relationships.
Relationships take time to grow and need nurturing.
You grow a relationship when you don’t need it and then when you do need it, it is there to support you. If you need something from someone but you have not taken the time to build a relationship with them then it’s too late to start now.
But if you start growing your relationships now then they will be strong when you need them.
What does this mean for managing staff?
The research consistently shows that the most important relationship that your direct report has with the organization is embodied in the relationship that they have with their direct line manager. This is you.
And when you want your direct report to do something for you, you have two options:
1. You can rely on your formal role power and direct them which is likely to result in grudging compliance. OR
2. If you have a good relationship with them then you can ask them to do the task and you will understand how to motivate them. This will result in them eagerly taking on the task and producing a great result.
Are your relationships strong or do you get grudging compliance?
This is why we think that having a time-efficient, formulaic method to build good relationships with your employees is so important.
Tip: Do you have regular one-on-one meetings with your staff? They're a proven and time-efficient way to build better relationships and have good communications with your team. If you're not having them then download your free one-on-one form here.
If you think about it, the job of a Boss is to get people to do stuff. But getting people to do what you want must be one of the toughest things in the world. That’s why WWW.BOSS.CAMP is about making managing easy in just an hour a week. The program includes topics such as:
- How to hire for performance,
- How to motivate employees,
- What are bad employee motivators,
- What you must do as a manager but isn't on your job description,
- How leaders get power,