For a man of his time Darwin had incredible foresight - the world is changing at a rapid pace. As they say, the only constant is change.
Nowhere is this more true than in business. Successfully dealing with change is crucial to success.
The question is – why do some people fight the wave of progress while others embrace change and ride the crest?
This is one of the things that can make managing a challenge. Because people are different, they have to be managed differently to get the most from them – but how do you know what to change?
what behavior profiles tell us
It comes down to human nature. People have inherent traits that determine how they react to stimuli. These inherent traits define our behavior profiles, and it’s our dominant profile that determines if we are more:
- Introverted or extroverted;
- People-focused or task-focused;
- Assertive or amiable;
- Fast-paced or steady;
- Highly strung or even tempered.
DISC Behavior Profiling
There are many human behavior models and most tend to focus on four dominant styles. The DISC profiling system is a well established model that has been well tested. Personally I like it because it’s simplicity makes it easier to apply in practice.
The essence of DISC is that:
- There are four behavior quadrants which can combine into 15 different behavior patterns;
- The different quadrants represent different preferences and frames of reference that people use to interpret the world
- This means that different people can have vastly different interpretations of exactly the same situation;
- Conflict and misunderstanding arises when you don’t understand someone’s preferences and needs;
- To be more effective with others it is you that needs to adapt when communicating with them.
So the key to dealing with differences is to be more like a chameleon and adapt to the environment. When you learn how to do this you will build better relationships and be much more effective at getting people to do what you want.
More on DISC - DISC is like an instruction manual for people.
DISC related training products
If you think about it, the job of a Boss is to get people to do stuff. But getting people to do what you want must be one of the toughest things in the world. That’s why WWW.BOSS.CAMP is about making managing easy in just an hour a week. The program includes topics such as:
- How to hire for performance,
- How to motivate employees,
- What are bad employee motivators,
- What you must do as a manager but isn't on your job description,
- How leaders get power,