HINT - IT'S NOT THE TYPO
When we think of resume mistakes typo's are the first thing that come to mind. But there is a far more serious mistake that most people don'e even know about!
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Have you ever been in an interview and seen your cv mis-formatted? What's going on? Spent all the time and effort making a good looking CV and then information is missing and you're embarrassed by the bad layout.
- Are you sending out resumes for perfect-match positions and not getting calls?
If so, then you may be the victim of Applicant Tracking Systems, or ATS — the software many companies use to read your resume and rank it according to keywords.
THE CURSE OF THE APPLICANT TRACKING SYSTEM
Because employers are inundated with resumes every time they post a job vacancy, more companies are turning to electronic Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). An ATS efficiently scans all the resumes that come in and then presents the top candidates to a living, breathing human being.
The problem is, Applicant Tracking Systems:
- Only "read" resumes that are in an acceptable format,
- Won't match you to the right job if your resume doesn't contain enough of the right keywords.
Because of this an ATS can be the reason why:
- Hiring managers are not seeing your resume,
- You're not in the running for an interview and,
- You don't get the job!
This means that your resume format could be the biggest problem with your resume right now. It could be ruining your career and you don't even know about it!
THEY'RE HERE TO STAY...
According to Forbes, up to 75% of qualified applicants' resumes are not getting past these systems. And a recent study indicated that over 70% of Fortune 1000 companies are now using Applicant Tracking Systems.
YOU CAN'T BYPASS THEM
These systems aren’t going anywhere, so it’s time to learn how to work with them.
Note - submitting your resume through a friend won't give you the upper hand either. HR will still insist it be fed into the Applicant Tracking System to ensure compliance with labour regulations.
MAKE SURE YOUR RESUME GETS PAST APPLICANT TRACKING SYSTEMS
GOING FOR A JOB INTERVIEW?
Interview preparation can make the difference between getting the job you want and waiting for the call that never comes. Make sure that you're a step ahead of the recruiter by checking out the tools offered in the Interview Success Series:
Do you have any comments, questions or tips about resume writing? Help the rest of us out by sharing in the comments below.
Making the step up to boss? Find out what they didn't teach you in school about managing employees in WWW.BOSS.CAMP. The program includes topics such as:
- How to motivate employees,
- What are bad employee motivators,
- What you must do as a manager but isn't on your job description,
- How leaders get power.