Employee Performance Management using Effective Feedback
As a manager, you are responsible for the output and performance of your team and every individual on your team. So to be an effective manager you need a way to talk to your direct reports about their behavior and performance. Effective employee performance management starts with regular communication with your team. Giving them performance feedback that results in the change you want to see. Performance communication that works is called Effective Feedback.
Effective employee performance feedback is delivered regularly, timely and effectively. And when done this way it's one of your foundational manager tools to improving employee performance. Effective feedback will fix today's problems and help you to avoid tomorrows problems. But effective feedback isn't just about problems - it's about improving employee engagement so your employees don't just meet standard by are motivated to achieve.
And effective managers make sure that they give employee performance feedback in every single one on one meeting.
Employee Performance Feedback Done the Right Way
A 2009 Gallup Inc. study of over 1000 U.S. based employees shows that managers giving little or no feedback to their workers fail to engage 98% of them. Effective positive feedback and negative feedback is the best managerial tool to increase:
- Employee engagement and;
- Employee performance.
Employee Engagement Using Effective Feedback
Like many things there is a wrong way to give employee performance feedback and a right way to give employee performance feedback. Employee performance feedback given the wrong way will result in:
- Poor encouragement and reinforcement of desired behaviors;
- Underperformance and reduced employee performance and productivity;
- Decreased employee motivation and;
- Reduced employee engagement.
But when you give employee performance feedback the right way you will:
- Save valuable time and money correcting underperformance;
- Encourage improved employee performance;
- Increase employee motivation;
- Improve employee engagement and;
- Improve employee retention.
The first step to effective employee performance management using effective feedback is identifying employee performance feedback topics.
Using an Employee Feedback Worksheet
An employee feedback worksheet will show you how to identify employee performance feedback topics. The Manager Foundation Employee Feedback Worksheet is an:
- Employee Feedback Tool to identify whether or not your employees are meeting performance standards;
- Employee Feedback Tool to find out whether your employee performance feedback is working;
- Employee Feedback Tool to quantify the costs of poor employee performance.
Employee Performance Feedback Is a Manager Skill:
Use a worksheet to Identify Employee Performance Feedback Topics
At the end of the Employee Feedback Worksheet you will also have a list of:
- The key employee performance areas that need to be improved and;
- The most important employee feedback topics that you want to address with positive feedback and negative feedback.
Employee Performance Feedback in Management: A Powerful Manager Skill
Employee performance feedback in management is a powerful employee performance management tool.
Performance is more effectively managed using feedback. And the likelihood of making any lasting impact on performance increases when feedback is delivered regularly and timely.
Giving your staff effective feedback also means that you don’t run the risk of waiting to address underperformance in annual performance reviews.
When employee performance feedback is given regularly and done correctly it:
- Encourages consistent and continuous improved performance;
- Increases employee motivation;
- Increases employee engagement and employee retention,
- Increases employee productivity and;
- Increases organizational profitability.
Download Your Free Employee Feedback Worksheet Here.
More about Employee Performance Feedback
Employee feedback is a cornerstone management tool. And the mark of a truly great and effective manager is one who leverages feedback to manage employee performance.
Effective employee performance feedback isn’t emotionally loaded and it isn’t confrontational. But there is a wrong way and a right way to give employees positive feedback and negative feedback. Read more articles on employee performance feedback here or here, or find out about the Manager Foundation Effective Feedback system here.
The Manager Foundation Effective Feedback System Includes:
- How to use regular, effective feedback as a tool to manage employee performance;
- How to give effective positive feedback and negative feedback;
- The risks of not giving your staff regular feedback;
- How to motivate staff and engage employees;
- and much more.
SPECIAL MENTION ABOUT ONE-ON-ONE MEETINGS
Do you know that regular, high quality one-on-ones with your employees are the single easiest management practice. Do one-on-ones right and not only can you can take care of almost all your management responsibilities in one go but they will also deliver you to manager Nirvana. Weekly one-on-one meetings with your employees are also the perfect forum for giving your employees performance feedback. It almost seems too good to be true – which could be why some managers don’t believe in them.
The reason why not every manager believes in one-on-ones is because not every manager knows how to do fast, high quality one-on-ones. As with anything in life, do it wrong and you're simply not going to see the results. But do it right and one-on-ones will change your life and deliver you to management nirvana.
And the reason why bosses and employees have poor one on ones is simply because no-one shows you how to have high quality One-ones. I know none of my my bosses every taught me this skill and clearly no-one ever showed them either. What I do with Manager Foundation is that I show you the real world boss skills that you need but they don't teach you in university. That's why I made a mini-course on one-on-ones (including a one-on-one template with a one-on-one meeting agenda) which will show you 3 Easy Steps 2 1 on 1's. What I expect you'll find is that you already know some of the content on some type of level but maybe you're not putting it into practice. This will help. As I say this is essential for new managers and helpful for experienced managers.
The problem with traditional leadership training is that it’s high level theory. Learning about vision, values, culture, inspiration is interesting but it doesn’t help you to fix the problems that you face every day. That’s why WWW.BOSS.CAMP shares with you practical management techniques, down to the level of what words to say and what specific actions to take. The program includes topics such as:
- How to motivate employees,
- What are bad employee motivators,
- What you must do as a manager but isn't on your job description,
- How leaders get power.