Coaching Worksheet – PDF for Download
Managers are responsible for the performance and deliverables of their team. And a key part of a manager’s job is improving the skills of their employees to support improved employee performance. When your team is continually growing and developing, then they will be more productive in their individual roles. This improves the productivity of your team and makes you look like a superstar boss.
PS: When do you find the time to coach your employees? In your One-on-One meetings of course - see this free resource 3 Steps 2 Easy 1 on 1s to find out how
Employee Performance Management and Development Through Coaching
Coaching is one one of the best ways to grow and develop your team. And it topped the list of top manager skills in Google’s Project Oxygen study. The objective of Project Oxygen was to identify the characteristics employees at the Googleplex admire most in bosses. After scouring years of performance reviews, feedback surveys and more, Project Oxygen identified eight top traits. Coaching topped a list that also included career development.
Most people tend to think of coaching in sporting terms, where the coach assists the athlete to improve their physical skills and performance. Coaching employees in the corporate world is no different. Coaching employees may not be about improving physical or athletic skills. But it is about improving employee performance and employee productivity.
Coaching Employees the Right Way
Like many things there is a wrong way to coach employees and a right way to coach employees. Coaching employees the wrong way will result in:
- Poor skill development;
- Decreased employee motivation;
- Reduced employee engagement and;
- Underperformance and reduced employee performance and productivity.
But when you coach employees the right way you will:
- Save your own time and money correcting underperformance;
- Give your staff new capabilities that will support their career progression;
- Delegate more effectively to your staff because coaching supports delegation;
- Improve employee engagement and;
- Improve employee retention.
The first step to effective employee coaching is identifying employee coaching opportunities.
Using a Coaching Worksheet
A coaching worksheet will show you how to identify employee coaching opportunities. The Manager Foundation Coaching Worksheet is a:
- Coaching Tool to identify which activities your staff need to improve their skills in;
- Coaching Tool to evaluate whether or not your current staff development process is working and;
- Coaching Tool to quantify the cost of ineffective staff development.
Coaching as a Manager Skill: Identifying Employee Coaching Opportunities
At the end of the coaching worksheet you will also have a list of:
- Employee performance activities that need to be improved;
- Employee skills that need to be improved and;
- The most important tasks you depend on your staff for.
Coaching in Management: A Powerful Manager Skill
Coaching in management is a powerful employee performance management tool. Coaching is also a different approach to developing employees' potential. Using coaching as a tool for employee development provides your staff with the opportunity to grow and achieve optimal performance through:
- Consistent feedback;
- Guidance and counselling and;
Coaching your staff means that you don’t run the risk of waiting to address underperformance in annual performance reviews. Coaching your staff means that you can provide your employees with year-round, consistent support along the path to meeting their goals.
When employee coaching is done correctly it:
- Encourages consistent and continuous improved performance;
- Increases employee motivation;
- Increases employee engagement and employee retention,
- Increases employee productivity and;
- Increases organizational profitability.
Download Your Free Coaching Worksheet Here.
SPECIAL MENTION ABOUT ONE-ON-ONE MEETINGS
Do you know that regular, high quality one-on-ones with your employees are the single easiest management practice. Weekly one-on-one meetings with your employees are also the perfect forum for focusing on their growth and development. Do one-on-ones right and not only can you can take care of almost all your management responsibilities in one go but they will also deliver you to manager Nirvana . It almost seems too good to be true – which could be why some managers don’t believe in them.
The reason why not every manager believes in one-on-ones is because not every manager knows how to do fast, high quality one-on-ones. As with anything in life, do it wrong and you're simply not going to see the results. But do it right and one-on-ones will change your life and deliver you to management nirvana.
And the reason why bosses and employees have poor one on ones is simply because no-one shows you how to have high quality One-ones. I know none of my my bosses every taught me this skill and clearly no-one ever showed them either. What I do with Manager Foundation is that I show you the real world manager skills that you need but they don't teach you in university. That's why I made a mini-course on one-on-ones (including a one-on-one template with a one-on-one meeting agenda) which will show you 3 Easy Steps 2 1 on 1's. What I expect you'll find is that you already know some of the content on some type of level but maybe you're not putting it into practice. This will help. As I say this is essential for new managers and helpful for experienced managers.
Do you have any comments, questions or tips on coaching employees? Please help the rest of us out by sharing in the comments below:
Additional Resources Relating to Coaching in Management
More about Employee Development Through Coaching
Coaching is a cornerstone management tool. Highly effective managers both expect and encourage consistent, continuous development from their directs. Coaching is the most effective tool for achieving this.
Employee coaching isn’t training and it isn’t time-intensive for you as a manager. But there is a wrong way and a right way to coach employees. Read more articles on employee coaching here or find out about the Manager Foundation Coaching system for developing your staff here.
The Manager Foundation Coaching System Includes:
- How to use coaching as a tool to ask your direct reports to consistently do more;
- How to coach everyone on your team in under 10 minutes each week during one-on-one meetings;
- The risks of not developing your staff;
- How to motivate staff and engage employees;
- and much more.
Being a boss is a tough job - you have the world on the shoulders. You are the super hero that keeps the lights on and the team together. WWW.BOSS.CAMP is support for super hero’s like you so you can get your team to do more of their jobs, leaving you time to do your own. The program includes topics such as:
- How to motivate employees,
- What are bad employee motivators,
- What you must do as a manager but isn't on your job description,
- How leaders get power.