THE POWER OF FIRST IMPRESSIONS
You've heard the saying, "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression." We know how vitally important this is when preparing for a job interview - but have you ever considered the first impression your resume gives to prospective employers?
When you respond to a job advertisement/ vacancy, your resume precedes you. The employer's first impression of you is based solely on what is presented in your resume.
WHAT PERCEPTION DOES YOUR RESUME CREATE?
When applying for a job your resume sets the stage for your interview even before the recruiter meets you. Research shows that recruiters will only scan a resume for an average of 6 seconds. This means that in 6 seconds flat they will:
- Decide whether you are a worthy applicant for the job and;
- Form a perception of what you are worth.
A WINNING RESUME NEEDS MORE THAN JUST A GOOD TEMPLATE
The internet is flooded with resume templates for job seekers. A quick download and you're ready to "plug-in" your details. But what does this say about the value you bring to the organization? Does it create the perception that you are the best candidate for the job? Will the recruiter be left without a shadow of a doubt that you are a candidate worthy of a good offer?
USE A PROFESSIONAL RESUME WRITER TO GET A RESUME THAT WORKS
Most people will ask a friend or family member to review their resume for them. But be careful of this because they might:
- Be busy or distracted by other tasks,
- Not pick up on all the mistakes and,
- Not know the latest and best resume formats and conventions.
Besides being vastly more experienced and able to provide advice from having seen many resumes, a Professional Resume Writer:
- Will give you an external point of view,
- Is discreet and will pay your resume the care and attention needed to find mistakes,
- Isn't busy or distracted with other tasks and will give you prompt service,
- Has the necessary skills and experience to write a resume that gets you interviews,
- Knows the best resume format to get past Applicant Tracking Systems and knows how to maximize keywords to match you to the job you want.
MAKE SURE YOUR RESUME GETS YOU THE OFFER YOU WANT...
GOING FOR A JOB INTERVIEW?
Interview preparation can make the difference between getting the job you want and waiting for the call that never comes. Make sure that you're a step ahead of the recruiter by checking out the tools offered in the Interview Success Series:
Do you have any comments, questions or tips about resume writing? Help the rest of us out by sharing in the comments below.
Are you making the step up to management? Then if you’ve ever ridden the tube on a Monday morning you know that work isn’t working. We need to wake up now to find a better way. WWW.BOSS.CAMP is about finding a better way to make work work. The program includes topics such as:
- How to motivate employees,
- What are bad employee motivators,
- What you must do as a manager but isn't on your job description,
- How leaders get power.